Hornbill fest gets off to colourful start
Kohima: The annual Hornbill festival today
got off to a colourful start as traditionally attired Naga
dancers swayed to drum beats.
Dubbed as the `Festival of festivals,` the week-long
event aims at promoting tourism sector by bringing all strands
of Naga life and culture under a single roof at Kisama
heritage village, 12 km south of this capital town.
This year’s festival is coined as unity in culture
to further strengthen harmony among diverse Naga tribes and a
large number of foreign tourists.
Diplomats from many countries, particularly the ASEAN,
participated in the festival, organized by state tourism and
culture department as nodal agency. The opening of the
festival also coincides with the Nagaland statehood day.
Declaring the festival open, Governor Nikhil Kumar
insisted that the celebration of events like this would not
only strengthen bond among Naga tribes but also tremendously
contribute towards the government’s goal of prosperity.
The Governor also paid tributes to those who had the
vision about the formation of Nagaland under constitution
after a decade-long violence in the 1963. The state completed
48 years of its existence.
With easing of protected area permit (PAP) in some
states in the North-east, the government expects more foreign
tourists in next few days.
In his message Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio dwelt on his
government`s commitment for lasting peace in Nagaland and how
the ruling DAN coalition tried its best to unite all Naga
Nagaland Adventure and Motor Sports Association is
organizing the Hornbill international car rally which begins
at I G stadium tomorrow morning with over 80 participants from
parts of India and UK, Japan, Lao PDR, Vietnam, Myanmar. The
total prize money for the rally is Rs 15 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’