Hornbill fest gets off to colourful start
Kohima: The annual Hornbill festival today
got off to a colourful start as traditionally attired Naga
dancers swayed to drum beats.
Dubbed as the `Festival of festivals,` the week-long
event aims at promoting tourism sector by bringing all strands
of Naga life and culture under a single roof at Kisama
heritage village, 12 km south of this capital town.
This year’s festival is coined as unity in culture
to further strengthen harmony among diverse Naga tribes and a
large number of foreign tourists.
Diplomats from many countries, particularly the ASEAN,
participated in the festival, organized by state tourism and
culture department as nodal agency. The opening of the
festival also coincides with the Nagaland statehood day.
Declaring the festival open, Governor Nikhil Kumar
insisted that the celebration of events like this would not
only strengthen bond among Naga tribes but also tremendously
contribute towards the government’s goal of prosperity.
The Governor also paid tributes to those who had the
vision about the formation of Nagaland under constitution
after a decade-long violence in the 1963. The state completed
48 years of its existence.
With easing of protected area permit (PAP) in some
states in the North-east, the government expects more foreign
tourists in next few days.
In his message Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio dwelt on his
government`s commitment for lasting peace in Nagaland and how
the ruling DAN coalition tried its best to unite all Naga
Nagaland Adventure and Motor Sports Association is
organizing the Hornbill international car rally which begins
at I G stadium tomorrow morning with over 80 participants from
parts of India and UK, Japan, Lao PDR, Vietnam, Myanmar. The
total prize money for the rally is Rs 15 lakh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video