HPC casual workers on indefinite strike
Jagiroad: Over 1700 casual workers of the Hindustan Paper Corporation paper mill here struck work indefinitely from thursday partially hitting the production works of the paper mill.
Staging a dharna and sit-in demonstration in front of the administration building of the HPC, the casual workers union members demanded revised remuneration as announced by the Union Labour department.
The Gauhati High Court had three months ago issued an order for the HPC to pay the revised remuneration to the causal workers, the union`s general secretary Atul Chandra Kalita told reporters.
The HPC authority were yet to implement the revised remuneration with the workers receiving payments less than the MGNREGA rate, Kalita asserted.
The non-cooperation by the workers had partially affected the working of the mill at Jagiroad in central Assam`s Morigaon district, he claimed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice