HPC-D militant arrested in New Delhi
Aizawl: H Sangbera, chairman of the Manipur-based Hmar People`s Convention - Democrats (HPC-D) was arrested from Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi by a team of Mizoram Police and Delhi Police on Tuesday night, a senior state police officer said on Wednesday.
The official told a news agency that Sangbera was arrested at the airport soon after he landed from Imphal by a flight via Guwahati.
He was brought to Aizawl today.
"He was detained at the Aizawl Police Station for interrogation and was booked under relevant sections of the IPC and other laws," the official said.
Sangbera (65) joined the Hmar militant group in 2007 when there was a vacuum in the leadership of the HPC-D as the then President Lalhmingthanga Sanate was found to be losing interest in guerrilla warfare.
He became more powerful after misunderstanding between leaders of the outfit due to signing of agreement with the Kuki outfit in Manipur which Sangbera`s faction rejected.
Earlier, on June 10, Lalropuia and Biaknunga, `Army Chief` and `Deputy Army Chief` respectively of the HPC-D were arrested in Silchar Airport in Assam`s Cachar district by the Mizoram Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?
- Govt blocks over 800 porn websites – complete list
- Govt reviews porn ban order, blocks only child pornography-related websites