HPC-D militant arrested in New Delhi
Aizawl: H Sangbera, chairman of the Manipur-based Hmar People`s Convention - Democrats (HPC-D) was arrested from Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi by a team of Mizoram Police and Delhi Police on Tuesday night, a senior state police officer said on Wednesday.
The official told a news agency that Sangbera was arrested at the airport soon after he landed from Imphal by a flight via Guwahati.
He was brought to Aizawl today.
"He was detained at the Aizawl Police Station for interrogation and was booked under relevant sections of the IPC and other laws," the official said.
Sangbera (65) joined the Hmar militant group in 2007 when there was a vacuum in the leadership of the HPC-D as the then President Lalhmingthanga Sanate was found to be losing interest in guerrilla warfare.
He became more powerful after misunderstanding between leaders of the outfit due to signing of agreement with the Kuki outfit in Manipur which Sangbera`s faction rejected.
Earlier, on June 10, Lalropuia and Biaknunga, `Army Chief` and `Deputy Army Chief` respectively of the HPC-D were arrested in Silchar Airport in Assam`s Cachar district by the Mizoram Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar