HPC-D militant Sangbera arrested in New Delhi
Aizawl: H Sangbera, chairman of the Manipur-based Hmar People`s Convention - Democrats (HPC-D) was arrested from Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi by a team of Mizoram Police and Delhi Police last night, a senior state police officer said today.
The official said that Sangbera was arrested at the airport soon after he landed from Imphal by a flight via Guwahati.
He was brought to Aizawl today.
"He was detained at the Aizawl Police Station for interrogation and was booked under relevant sections of the IPC and other laws," the official said.
Sangbera (65) joined the Hmar militant group in 2007 when there was a vacuum in the leadership of the HPC-D as the then President Lalhmingthanga Sanate was found to be losing interest in guerrilla warfare.
He became more powerful after misunderstanding between leaders of the outfit due to signing of agreement with the Kuki outfit in Manipur which Sangbera`s faction rejected.
Earlier, on June 10, Lalropuia and Biaknunga, `Army Chief` and `Deputy Army Chief` respectively of the HPC-D were arrested in Silchar Airport in Assam`s Cachar district by the Mizoram Police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Shocking ISIS video: English-speaking 10-year-old boy beheads hostage, warns America