HRD Ministry ordered to pay Rs 10L to Tripura girl
Agartala: The Gauhati High Court has ordered the Union Human Resources Development Ministry to pay a compensation of Rs 10 lakh to a girl who was raped by her school principal in Tripura.
Justice Arun Chandra Upadhyay of Gauhati high court on Friday ordered a compensation of Rs 10 lakh while hearing a petition jointly filed by the girl`s family and the Tripura`s Women`s Commission seeking a compensation of Rs 50 lakh from the Union Human Resources Development Ministry.
The girl was a student of class eight at Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya at Kakraban in South Tripura district when she was raped by her school principal, HS Tiwari, in 1998.
The girl had delivered a baby after she was raped by Tiwari.
Tiwari is now serving a life term in jail as the Gauhati high court in June 2005 has upheld the life sentence awarded to him by the district and sessions court of South Tripura.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media
- Sania Mirza trolls Sanjay Manjrekar on Twitter after completing 80 consecutive weeks as World No. 1 doubles player