HSPDP against Cabinet decision to allow UCIL pre dev work
Shillng: Hill State People Democratic Party
(HSPDP), a constituent of the ruling Congress led Meghalaya
United Alliance (MUA) government today said it did not support
the recent Cabinet decision to allow the Uranium Corporation
Of India Ltd (UCIL) to start its first phase pre-development
project in West Khasi Hills District "due to health hazard."
Addressing the a press conference at Shillong Press Club
here, HSPDP president and MLA, Hoping Stone Lyngdoh said he
would fight against uranium mining "due to health hazard."
"I will continue to fight against uranium mining as long
as scientists are unable to stop the radiation which affects
human lives," Lyngdoh said.
"The MUA Cabinet on October 14, endorsed that UCIL could
go ahead with Rs 209 crore pre- development project on the 422
hectare leased land at Mawthabah in West Khasi Hills District.
I, myself had expressed my strong opposition to it," Lyngdoh
"The pre-development project of the Centre through UCIL
was to fool the people with an intention to mine uranium in
the district," he said adding that he would welcome the
Centres developmental schemes, but not through UCIL.
The HSPDP leader said that his party in its election
manifesto had promised to the people that it would fight
against uranium mining in Meghalaya and a committee was also
formed in this regard to enlighten the public on the ill
effect of uranium mining.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi