HSPDP chief, deputy speaker file nomination in Meghalaya
Shillong: President of the Hill State People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP) Hopingstone Lyngdoh, state Assembly Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai and 22 others filed their nomination papers on Saturday for the upcoming Meghalaya Assembly elections.
Lyngdoh, who has never tasted defeat in elections since Meghalaya attained statehood in 1972, would contest from Nongstoin in West Khasi hills district, considered the bastion of the HSPDP.
Deputy Speaker and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) state president, Sanbor Shullai, filed his papers for Shillong South constituency.
In Sohra Civil Sub-division, Khasi Hills Autonomous Council member Grace Mary Kharpuri filed her nomination papers as independent candidate from Shella constituency.
She will be contesting against former Chief Minister and UDP president Donkupar Roy.
Till date, 85 candidates have filed their nomination papers for the elections on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH