HSPDP chief, deputy speaker file nomination in Meghalaya
Shillong: President of the Hill State People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP) Hopingstone Lyngdoh, state Assembly Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai and 22 others filed their nomination papers on Saturday for the upcoming Meghalaya Assembly elections.
Lyngdoh, who has never tasted defeat in elections since Meghalaya attained statehood in 1972, would contest from Nongstoin in West Khasi hills district, considered the bastion of the HSPDP.
Deputy Speaker and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) state president, Sanbor Shullai, filed his papers for Shillong South constituency.
In Sohra Civil Sub-division, Khasi Hills Autonomous Council member Grace Mary Kharpuri filed her nomination papers as independent candidate from Shella constituency.
She will be contesting against former Chief Minister and UDP president Donkupar Roy.
Till date, 85 candidates have filed their nomination papers for the elections on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?