HSPDP chief, deputy speaker file nomination in Meghalaya
Shillong: President of the Hill State People`s Democratic Party (HSPDP) Hopingstone Lyngdoh, state Assembly Deputy Speaker Sanbor Shullai and 22 others filed their nomination papers on Saturday for the upcoming Meghalaya Assembly elections.
Lyngdoh, who has never tasted defeat in elections since Meghalaya attained statehood in 1972, would contest from Nongstoin in West Khasi hills district, considered the bastion of the HSPDP.
Deputy Speaker and Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) state president, Sanbor Shullai, filed his papers for Shillong South constituency.
In Sohra Civil Sub-division, Khasi Hills Autonomous Council member Grace Mary Kharpuri filed her nomination papers as independent candidate from Shella constituency.
She will be contesting against former Chief Minister and UDP president Donkupar Roy.
Till date, 85 candidates have filed their nomination papers for the elections on February 23.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick