Hunt for new Arunachal CM on, Nabam Tuki emerging as frontrunner
Itanagar: The search for a new chief minister is on in Arunachal Pradesh with six names doing the rounds even as hectic lobbying has already begun after the death of Dorjee Khandu in a helicopter crash.
Amid the gloom and sadness, political activities have started in state capital Itanagar with three central ministers - V Narayanaswamy, Mukul Wasnik, and Bijoy Handique - and several senior All India Congress Committee (AICC) leaders monitoring the political developments.
Six names have come up for consideration - Nabam Tuki, the urban development minister and Arunachal Pradesh Congress president; Jarbom Gamlin, power minister and former MP; Tako Dabi, the home minister; Setong Sena, the finance minister; Mukut Mithi, a former chief minister; and Lok Sabha MP Takam Sanjay.
"The Congress high command is aware of the situation, but this is not the time to discuss such things as our priority is to get the bodies and perform the last rites," Handique the central minister for development of northeastern region (DONER), said.
The chances of Nabam Tuki emerging as the unanimous choice are not ruled out as he is one of the senior Congress leaders and also the president of the state Congress party.
Some of the legislators have also sent their views to the central leadership about their choice and preference.
It is likely a new chief minister would be chosen soon and would be sworn in latest by Thursday.
There are also chances of a caretaker chief minister being sworn in pending a final selection of a permanent chief minister by the Congress high command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert