Hunt for new Arunachal CM on, Nabam Tuki emerging as frontrunner
Itanagar: The search for a new chief minister is on in Arunachal Pradesh with six names doing the rounds even as hectic lobbying has already begun after the death of Dorjee Khandu in a helicopter crash.
Amid the gloom and sadness, political activities have started in state capital Itanagar with three central ministers - V Narayanaswamy, Mukul Wasnik, and Bijoy Handique - and several senior All India Congress Committee (AICC) leaders monitoring the political developments.
Six names have come up for consideration - Nabam Tuki, the urban development minister and Arunachal Pradesh Congress president; Jarbom Gamlin, power minister and former MP; Tako Dabi, the home minister; Setong Sena, the finance minister; Mukut Mithi, a former chief minister; and Lok Sabha MP Takam Sanjay.
"The Congress high command is aware of the situation, but this is not the time to discuss such things as our priority is to get the bodies and perform the last rites," Handique the central minister for development of northeastern region (DONER), said.
The chances of Nabam Tuki emerging as the unanimous choice are not ruled out as he is one of the senior Congress leaders and also the president of the state Congress party.
Some of the legislators have also sent their views to the central leadership about their choice and preference.
It is likely a new chief minister would be chosen soon and would be sworn in latest by Thursday.
There are also chances of a caretaker chief minister being sworn in pending a final selection of a permanent chief minister by the Congress high command.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi