IAF sorties in landslide-hit Arunachal areas
Shillong: IAF helicopters have been pressed
into action in landslide-hit areas of Arunachal Pradesh for
assistance missions, especially to air drop food supplies.
Several areas of East Kameng district in Arunachal Pradesh
were completely cut-off from the mainland due to disruption in
road communication following landslides because of incessant
rains in the region.
Arunachal Pradesh government requisitioned IAF helicopters
to supply emergency rations from Seppa to areas where people
were facing critical shortage of food supplies, an IAF
communique from the Eastern Air Command here said.
Though the helicopters were in stand-by from August 6,
they could not take-off due to inclement weather.
IAF helicopters from Eastern Air Command units in
Tezpur, Guwahati, Kumbhigram and Mohanbari were activated and
two Mi-17 helicopters were finally able to position at Seppa
on August 11 and food supplies were air dropped at Chyangtajo,
Bameng and Khanewa, the release said.
The relief operations are continuing in full swing and
around 5 tonnes of supplies have been air lifted to the
affected areas till yesterday.
Further sorties have also been planned and would continue
till the crisis situation in the affected areas were
overcome. More helicopters will be pressed into service, it
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?