IAF sorties in landslide-hit Arunachal areas
Shillong: IAF helicopters have been pressed
into action in landslide-hit areas of Arunachal Pradesh for
assistance missions, especially to air drop food supplies.
Several areas of East Kameng district in Arunachal Pradesh
were completely cut-off from the mainland due to disruption in
road communication following landslides because of incessant
rains in the region.
Arunachal Pradesh government requisitioned IAF helicopters
to supply emergency rations from Seppa to areas where people
were facing critical shortage of food supplies, an IAF
communique from the Eastern Air Command here said.
Though the helicopters were in stand-by from August 6,
they could not take-off due to inclement weather.
IAF helicopters from Eastern Air Command units in
Tezpur, Guwahati, Kumbhigram and Mohanbari were activated and
two Mi-17 helicopters were finally able to position at Seppa
on August 11 and food supplies were air dropped at Chyangtajo,
Bameng and Khanewa, the release said.
The relief operations are continuing in full swing and
around 5 tonnes of supplies have been air lifted to the
affected areas till yesterday.
Further sorties have also been planned and would continue
till the crisis situation in the affected areas were
overcome. More helicopters will be pressed into service, it
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?