IAF to conduct ration sorties in flood-hit Anjaw
Itanagar: Indian Air Force will conduct 32 ration sorties to flood-ravaged Anjaw district of Arunachal Pradesh bordering China, which has been cut off for from the rest of the state for the past several weeks.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki approved of the ration sorties after local MLA Kalikho Pul apprised him yesterday of the plight of the people due to the shortage of essential commodities.
"With no possibility of restoration of road connectivity to district headquarters Hawai or any administrative headquarters, IAF helicopter will provide ration to the starving population, particularly government employees and the students," Pul, who is also the economic adviser to the chief minister, said.
The bright sun during the day brought temporary relief but the people, particularly students were stranded without any communication link whatsoever. The chopper on its return trip would lift them from various destinations and drop them at Tezu, Pul said.
The district administration has built or renovated helipads for the air sorties at Hayuliang, Hawai, Chaglagam, Metnagliang, Goiliang, Manchal, Wallong and Kibitoo.
Pul also urged BRO and PWD authorities to speed up restoration and repair works so that normalcy could be restored at the earliest and schools, which have been closed due to the floods, could reopen.
The flood left a trail of devastation in the hill state claiming three lives, washing away vast stretches of roads, bridges, culverts, besides destroying dwelling houses and standing crops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India