IAF to conduct ration sorties in flood-hit Anjaw
Itanagar: Indian Air Force will conduct 32 ration sorties to flood-ravaged Anjaw district of Arunachal Pradesh bordering China, which has been cut off for from the rest of the state for the past several weeks.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki approved of the ration sorties after local MLA Kalikho Pul apprised him yesterday of the plight of the people due to the shortage of essential commodities.
"With no possibility of restoration of road connectivity to district headquarters Hawai or any administrative headquarters, IAF helicopter will provide ration to the starving population, particularly government employees and the students," Pul, who is also the economic adviser to the chief minister, said.
The bright sun during the day brought temporary relief but the people, particularly students were stranded without any communication link whatsoever. The chopper on its return trip would lift them from various destinations and drop them at Tezu, Pul said.
The district administration has built or renovated helipads for the air sorties at Hayuliang, Hawai, Chaglagam, Metnagliang, Goiliang, Manchal, Wallong and Kibitoo.
Pul also urged BRO and PWD authorities to speed up restoration and repair works so that normalcy could be restored at the earliest and schools, which have been closed due to the floods, could reopen.
The flood left a trail of devastation in the hill state claiming three lives, washing away vast stretches of roads, bridges, culverts, besides destroying dwelling houses and standing crops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand