IAF to conduct ration sorties in flood-hit Anjaw
Itanagar: Indian Air Force will conduct 32 ration sorties to flood-ravaged Anjaw district of Arunachal Pradesh bordering China, which has been cut off for from the rest of the state for the past several weeks.
Chief Minister Nabam Tuki approved of the ration sorties after local MLA Kalikho Pul apprised him yesterday of the plight of the people due to the shortage of essential commodities.
"With no possibility of restoration of road connectivity to district headquarters Hawai or any administrative headquarters, IAF helicopter will provide ration to the starving population, particularly government employees and the students," Pul, who is also the economic adviser to the chief minister, said.
The bright sun during the day brought temporary relief but the people, particularly students were stranded without any communication link whatsoever. The chopper on its return trip would lift them from various destinations and drop them at Tezu, Pul said.
The district administration has built or renovated helipads for the air sorties at Hayuliang, Hawai, Chaglagam, Metnagliang, Goiliang, Manchal, Wallong and Kibitoo.
Pul also urged BRO and PWD authorities to speed up restoration and repair works so that normalcy could be restored at the earliest and schools, which have been closed due to the floods, could reopen.
The flood left a trail of devastation in the hill state claiming three lives, washing away vast stretches of roads, bridges, culverts, besides destroying dwelling houses and standing crops.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about