IED blast during patrolling by securitymen
Shillong: A huge IED went off on the side
of a road on Friday when security forces were on a patrol in the
area in Meghalaya`s South Garo Hills district but no one was
"A huge blast took place on the side of a road while the
police team were on patrol in Nongalbibra area in Baghmara
police station," DGP N Ramachandran told PTI.
"Nobody was injured in the blast which took place during
midday. Immediately, security personnel searched and raided
the area but no one was arrested so far," he said.
The police said recovery of batteries, wires, iron pieces
and pellets from the site of the explosion indicated that the
device was country-made.
"Since Garo Hills-based terrorist group Garo National
Liberation Army (GNLA) is active in the area, so they are the
primary suspects," Ramachandran said.
GNLA, which is involved in terror activities in three
Garo Hills districts of Meghalaya, was deemed a terror group
by the Centre last month.
Meghalaya Police SWAT commandos, CRPF`s elite CoBRA force
and BSF troops are engaged in counter insurgency operations in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference