`Illegal arms being supplied to NE militants`
Kolkata: Illegal sophisticated arms, manufactured in West Bengal, Bihar`s Munger district and some other parts of the country, were being supplied to militants in North East, ADG (Law and Order) Banibrata Bose said here on Saturday.
"At present sophisticated arms are being manufactured at Munger(Bihar) which has a good demand among militants in the North East," Bose told reporters here.
He said that Maoists still preferred land mines over revolvers and rifles, because of lower cost.
Admitting that illegal arms existed in the state as it did earlier, Bose said that this would not be allowed to take firm root.
An arms manufacturing factory was unearthed and a huge cache of arms was seized recently from Malda district, he said.
"The drive will continue statewide," he said.
"Police are mainly responsible for maintaining law and order and accordingly steps are being taken to curb movement of illegal arms and ensure peace," he added.
Bose also said that there was nothing new in the use of arms, rivalry and threats in the port area.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India