`Illegal arms being supplied to NE militants`
Kolkata: Illegal sophisticated arms, manufactured in West Bengal, Bihar`s Munger district and some other parts of the country, were being supplied to militants in North East, ADG (Law and Order) Banibrata Bose said here on Saturday.
"At present sophisticated arms are being manufactured at Munger(Bihar) which has a good demand among militants in the North East," Bose told reporters here.
He said that Maoists still preferred land mines over revolvers and rifles, because of lower cost.
Admitting that illegal arms existed in the state as it did earlier, Bose said that this would not be allowed to take firm root.
An arms manufacturing factory was unearthed and a huge cache of arms was seized recently from Malda district, he said.
"The drive will continue statewide," he said.
"Police are mainly responsible for maintaining law and order and accordingly steps are being taken to curb movement of illegal arms and ensure peace," he added.
Bose also said that there was nothing new in the use of arms, rivalry and threats in the port area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued