`Illegal arms being supplied to NE militants`
Kolkata: Illegal sophisticated arms, manufactured in West Bengal, Bihar`s Munger district and some other parts of the country, were being supplied to militants in North East, ADG (Law and Order) Banibrata Bose said here on Saturday.
"At present sophisticated arms are being manufactured at Munger(Bihar) which has a good demand among militants in the North East," Bose told reporters here.
He said that Maoists still preferred land mines over revolvers and rifles, because of lower cost.
Admitting that illegal arms existed in the state as it did earlier, Bose said that this would not be allowed to take firm root.
An arms manufacturing factory was unearthed and a huge cache of arms was seized recently from Malda district, he said.
"The drive will continue statewide," he said.
"Police are mainly responsible for maintaining law and order and accordingly steps are being taken to curb movement of illegal arms and ensure peace," he added.
Bose also said that there was nothing new in the use of arms, rivalry and threats in the port area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list