Illegal migrants majority in interior Manipur constituency
Imphal: A banned insurgent group on Friday issued a diktat saying that people who entered Manipur after the 1951 census for work, small time business and other matters, and illegal migrants should leave the state by December 31.
In a statement here, Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP) said a drive would be launched from January 1 next year against outsiders and illegal migrants.
The KCP statement followed the warning of the coordinating committee of seven major insurgent groups (CORCOM) on the same lines.
KCP and CORCOM said central government employees, students and those who came for academic related work were exempted.
The KCP statement also said that anyone opposing the action of the insurgents or selling or letting out their land to outsiders would be `punished`.
Official sources said they were aware of the statements issued by insurgent organisations and the authorities had stepped up work for detecting illegal migrants.
The joint action committee on Inner Line Permit said that those entering the state for work for a long period should be given some document under the inner line permit system.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch