I`m ready to quit: Meghalaya Chief Minister
Shillong: Admitting that he has "lost
majority" in the Congress Legislature Party, Meghalaya Chief
Minister D D Lapang on Sunday said he is ready to quit, paving the
way for his deputy Mukul Sangma to take over the reins.
"Mukul Sangma has the majority. I met the MLAs (who are
in Delhi). I asked them, they said yes. I asked him to go
ahead. I shall tell Congress President Sonia Gandhi about
this," Lapang said over phone from New Delhi.
Asked if he would resign, the beleaguered Chief
Minister, whose ouster has been sought by at least 14 of the
28 Congress MLAs, said, "Definitely. If he (Mukul Sangma) has
the majority, what does that mean? In a democracy the number
counts. I will meet Madam Gandhi and accordingly I will
resign," Lapang, who is expected to meet the party chief
later today, said.
"We will not fight for a chair. We will not burn our own
house for family differences. We stand as one," he maintained.
Backed by `majority` of Congress MLAs, Deputy Chief
Minister Mukul Sangma yesterday rushed to Delhi, apparently
with an eye on the Chief Minister`s post as the row over the
leadership issue in Meghalaya hotted up.
With Lapang already camping in New Delhi summoned by the
AICC in a bid to find a solution to the nearly two-month-old
leadership crisis, Sangma took along with him 14 other
Congress MLAs including ten dissidents who had sought Lapang`s
Two other pro-Sangma MLAs are expected to fly to the
national capital today.
The development came after 21 of the total 28 Congress
MLAs, including some detractors of the Chief Minister, met at
Sangma`s residence late on Friday night and pledged
"unconditional support" to him, party sources said.
Asked about the development, Sangma said, "The matter is
in the court of AICC. We are awaiting its decision."
A series of discussion was held between Sangma, Lapang
and AICC leaders since yesterday.
At least 14 dissident MLAs have been pursuing the
Congress high command for nearly one month asking for a change
of leadership as well as their inclusion in the ministry.
Only six Congress MLAs of the 28 have found berths in
The Congress-led alliance, sworn in last year after the
fall of the NCP-led government, enjoys the support of 44
legislators -- 28 from Congress, 9 from UDP, two from Hill
State Peoples Democratic Party, one from Khyun Hynniewtrep
National Awakening Movement and four Independents in a House
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh