‘Increasing crime against women, matter of serious concern`
Shillong: Meghalaya Governor RS Mooshahary today said increasing crime against women in the state was a matter of ‘serious’ concern.
New strategies and interventions would be devised to deal with the rising trend of crime against women, the governor who addressed the house on the first day of the first Budget session of the ninth House said.
He said that a special court at Nongstoin (in West Khasi Hills district) set up for trial of rape cases has yielded results and six persons have been convicted.
Rape cases in the five districts in the Garo Hills region including the infamous Williamnagar gang rape last year have been transferred to a fast track court at Tura, he said.
According to the Governor, the government was also contemplating entrusting rape cases to the fast track courts at Shillong and Jowai respectively to ensure effective delivery of justice.
The state’s first woman home minister Roshan Warjri who was given charge of the all important portfolio said issues pertaining to women was one of the most important issues in her priority list.
“It would be our efforts to establish fast track courts in all district headquarters for fast and effective delivery of justice to victims of such crimes,” Warjri said.
Despite the tag “matrilineal” which often Meghalaya has been known for valuing the fair sex, the state has lately earned itself a name for having an increasing graph of crimes against women.
Last year, there were 236 recorded cases of crime against women of which 158 were related to rape, a ten-fold increase over the last ten years. In 2002, there were only 38 reported rape cases.
The ruling Congress which won 29 out of 60 seats in February 23 assembly elections had promised to set up fast track courts across the state, if voted to power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days