Indefinite economic blockade against Nagaland lifted
Golaghat: The indefinite economic blockade of NH-39, called by six organisations of Assam against Nagaland, was lifted on Thursday after Assamese farmers began cultivation on 250 bighas of land which was allegedly stopped by police personnel of the neighbouring state.
An agreement was reached between villagers of Gaurbasti in Assam`s Golaghat district and Village Council members of Mikirjan in Nagaland`s Wokha district following which the farmers began ploughing the land from today, official sources said here.
The representatives of the six organisations were present at the disputed land when farmers began ploughing the field this afternoon following which the protestors withdrew the economic blockade.
Assam Minister of Border Affairs Siddeque Ahmed today visited the border with Nagaland at Merapani and reviewed the prevailing situation.
The blockade, which started on August 18, was called among others by Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad (AJYCP), Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and the All Tea Tribes Students` Union.
They had blocked the Naojan-Nagaland road in Sarupathar and also the Merapani road which goes to Nagaland`s Wokha district.
The protestors had prevented movement of traffic on National Highway 39 at Rangajan, Naojan-Nagaland road in Sarupathar and also the Merapani road which goes to Nagaland`s Wokha district.
Nagaland police personnel had allegedly stopped the villagers of Gaurbasti from cultivating the land claiming it was within their state`s boundary which was disputed by Assam government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof