Indefinite economic blockade against Nagaland lifted
Golaghat: The indefinite economic blockade of NH-39, called by six organisations of Assam against Nagaland, was lifted on Thursday after Assamese farmers began cultivation on 250 bighas of land which was allegedly stopped by police personnel of the neighbouring state.
An agreement was reached between villagers of Gaurbasti in Assam`s Golaghat district and Village Council members of Mikirjan in Nagaland`s Wokha district following which the farmers began ploughing the land from today, official sources said here.
The representatives of the six organisations were present at the disputed land when farmers began ploughing the field this afternoon following which the protestors withdrew the economic blockade.
Assam Minister of Border Affairs Siddeque Ahmed today visited the border with Nagaland at Merapani and reviewed the prevailing situation.
The blockade, which started on August 18, was called among others by Asom Jatiyatabadi Yuva Chatra Parishad (AJYCP), Krishak Mukti Sangram Samiti (KMSS) and the All Tea Tribes Students` Union.
They had blocked the Naojan-Nagaland road in Sarupathar and also the Merapani road which goes to Nagaland`s Wokha district.
The protestors had prevented movement of traffic on National Highway 39 at Rangajan, Naojan-Nagaland road in Sarupathar and also the Merapani road which goes to Nagaland`s Wokha district.
Nagaland police personnel had allegedly stopped the villagers of Gaurbasti from cultivating the land claiming it was within their state`s boundary which was disputed by Assam government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues