Indefinite strike in Manipur from midnight
Imphal: The general strike in Manipur, which was suspended for two days, would resume from midnight tonight till 6 pm Thursday to press the demand for arrest of the Naga militant who had allegedly molested a Manipuri film actress.
Official sources said a 12-hour curfew has been imposed in Imphal east and Imphal west districts from 6am tomorrow.
President of the All Manipur Clubs Organisation K T Rahman, along with representatives of different organisations including Film Forum Manipur (FFM), told mediapersons here this evening that the general strike would end at 6pm tomorrow.
The decision to end the strike was taken during a meeting of representatives from various social organisations after considering the present situation and inconvenience caused to the general public, he said.
However, other forms of democratic agititations such as sit-in protest would continue till the arrest of NSCN-IM`s Livingstone Anal who had allegedly molested actress Momoko on December 18.
Official sources said police force in strength have been deployed at strategic locations and government installations in view of the general strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez