Indefinite strike in Manipur from midnight
Imphal: The general strike in Manipur, which was suspended for two days, would resume from midnight tonight till 6 pm Thursday to press the demand for arrest of the Naga militant who had allegedly molested a Manipuri film actress.
Official sources said a 12-hour curfew has been imposed in Imphal east and Imphal west districts from 6am tomorrow.
President of the All Manipur Clubs Organisation K T Rahman, along with representatives of different organisations including Film Forum Manipur (FFM), told mediapersons here this evening that the general strike would end at 6pm tomorrow.
The decision to end the strike was taken during a meeting of representatives from various social organisations after considering the present situation and inconvenience caused to the general public, he said.
However, other forms of democratic agititations such as sit-in protest would continue till the arrest of NSCN-IM`s Livingstone Anal who had allegedly molested actress Momoko on December 18.
Official sources said police force in strength have been deployed at strategic locations and government installations in view of the general strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter