Indefinite strike in Manipur from midnight
Imphal: The general strike in Manipur, which was suspended for two days, would resume from midnight tonight till 6 pm Thursday to press the demand for arrest of the Naga militant who had allegedly molested a Manipuri film actress.
Official sources said a 12-hour curfew has been imposed in Imphal east and Imphal west districts from 6am tomorrow.
President of the All Manipur Clubs Organisation K T Rahman, along with representatives of different organisations including Film Forum Manipur (FFM), told mediapersons here this evening that the general strike would end at 6pm tomorrow.
The decision to end the strike was taken during a meeting of representatives from various social organisations after considering the present situation and inconvenience caused to the general public, he said.
However, other forms of democratic agititations such as sit-in protest would continue till the arrest of NSCN-IM`s Livingstone Anal who had allegedly molested actress Momoko on December 18.
Official sources said police force in strength have been deployed at strategic locations and government installations in view of the general strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company