Indian envoy discusses Meghalaya incidents with Nepal PM
Kathmandu: Indian Ambassador to Nepal, Rakesh Sood, met Prime Minister Madhav Kumar Nepal here on Friday and discussed the recent incidents of reported violence against Nepali speaking persons in Meghalaya.
The meeting comes at the time when the state government has been accused of remaining silent over the atrocities against the Nepali speakers in Meghalaya.
They also discussed ongoing efforts for consensus, peace process and Constitution drafting in Nepal.
There have been clashes between the Nepali speaking persons in Meghalaya for the past one month.
Earlier, the Young Communist League (YCL), youth wing of the UCPN (Maoist), submitted a memorandum to the Indian embassy denouncing the recent violence.
According to Kantipur, the YCL has demanded that India should guarantee the Nepali speakers right to live a dignified life.
The statement submitted by YCL coordinator Ganeshman Pun said that India should immediately take steps to maintain social harmony and provide compensation to the victims and take stern action against the perpetrators.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok