India`s first glass mosque coming up at Shillong
Shillong: Union Law and Minority Affairs Minister Salman Khurshid will inaugurate the Madina Masjid here, India`s first glass mosque, officials said on Monday.
Built near the Umshyrpi stream in the city, the four-storied glass dome can accommodate about 2000 devotees at a time and was built at a cost of Rs 2 crore donated by well wishers and the Muslim union, they said.
Union Minister of State for Minority Affairs and Shillong MP Vincent H Pala will accompany Khurshid for the inaugural function scheduled on October 18.
Standing as high as 120 feet and about 60 feet wide, the mosque is the first one to be built using special strengthened glasses in India and the biggest in the north-eastern region, Shillong Muslim Union general secretary Sayeedullah Nongrum said.
The mosque was conceptualised two years back and is built at Idgah complex premises which were set up way back in 1942, he said.
At present the complex houses a minority co-ed college, an orphanage, a library and an Islamic theological institute.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27