Insurgency in North East ebbing: Chidambaram
Bhopal: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said the problem of left-wing extremism (Naxalism) was affecting some eastern states in the country but most of the insurgent groups in North-East were now holding talks with the Centre.
"The states which are affected by this left-wing extremism are Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal to some extent," the Minister told reporters here.
Stating that North East has a very special place in the country he said the situation there was such that most of the insurgent groups there were in dialogue with the government.
Terror incidents in North East and in Jammu and Kashmir last year were the lowest in two decades, he said.
Right now, Madhya Pradesh is among the states which has not been affected by Naxalism.
However, he has raised the Naxal issue with Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan when both met earlier in the day.
"I had asked him to come to New Delhi to make a presentation on the state on the issue," Chidambaram said, adding that he can visit anytime during the next three weeks.
Earlier, all the three Ministers, including Union Ministers Salman Khurshid and V Narayan Sami, listed achievements of the UPA-II and said it had done lot of good work for the country, especially in the social sector, under challenging situations.
Work was done in many fields, where results could be seen only after some years, including education, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Meanwhile, Russian forces arrive in Pakistan for `Friendship 2016` joint military drill