Insurgency in North East ebbing: Chidambaram
Bhopal: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said the problem of left-wing extremism (Naxalism) was affecting some eastern states in the country but most of the insurgent groups in North-East were now holding talks with the Centre.
"The states which are affected by this left-wing extremism are Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal to some extent," the Minister told reporters here.
Stating that North East has a very special place in the country he said the situation there was such that most of the insurgent groups there were in dialogue with the government.
Terror incidents in North East and in Jammu and Kashmir last year were the lowest in two decades, he said.
Right now, Madhya Pradesh is among the states which has not been affected by Naxalism.
However, he has raised the Naxal issue with Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan when both met earlier in the day.
"I had asked him to come to New Delhi to make a presentation on the state on the issue," Chidambaram said, adding that he can visit anytime during the next three weeks.
Earlier, all the three Ministers, including Union Ministers Salman Khurshid and V Narayan Sami, listed achievements of the UPA-II and said it had done lot of good work for the country, especially in the social sector, under challenging situations.
Work was done in many fields, where results could be seen only after some years, including education, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- 2nd T20: Shahid Afridi, Anwar Ali help Pakistan win thriller against Sri Lanka