Insurgency in North East ebbing: Chidambaram
Bhopal: Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said the problem of left-wing extremism (Naxalism) was affecting some eastern states in the country but most of the insurgent groups in North-East were now holding talks with the Centre.
"The states which are affected by this left-wing extremism are Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand, Bihar and West Bengal to some extent," the Minister told reporters here.
Stating that North East has a very special place in the country he said the situation there was such that most of the insurgent groups there were in dialogue with the government.
Terror incidents in North East and in Jammu and Kashmir last year were the lowest in two decades, he said.
Right now, Madhya Pradesh is among the states which has not been affected by Naxalism.
However, he has raised the Naxal issue with Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan when both met earlier in the day.
"I had asked him to come to New Delhi to make a presentation on the state on the issue," Chidambaram said, adding that he can visit anytime during the next three weeks.
Earlier, all the three Ministers, including Union Ministers Salman Khurshid and V Narayan Sami, listed achievements of the UPA-II and said it had done lot of good work for the country, especially in the social sector, under challenging situations.
Work was done in many fields, where results could be seen only after some years, including education, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city