Insurgency situation under control, but ULFA may regroup: AR
Shillong: Claiming that the situation in the northeast was under control now, Assam Rifles DG Lt Gen Rameshwar Roy on Friday cautioned that the outlawed ULFA might, however, "build up" over a period of time.
"The ULFA is a simmering fire, but it has a potential to become bigger. At present its strength is not much but time will tell what potential it is left with... these are local dynamics," Roy told reporters on the sidelines of the Assam Rifles commanders` conference.
He cautioned that though the group`s capability was degrading, the group could "slowly get oxygen" and "build up over a period of time".
"There is no guarantee that they will not come back," he said.
Few days ago, the anti-talk faction of banned ULFA, which suffered serious setbacks as majority of its leaders and cadre entered the peace process, announced reorganising its armed wing under the `mobile military headquarter`, to be directly commanded by its elusive `c-in-c` Paresh Barua.
But the situation in the region as of now is "by and large peaceful and under control", the DG said.
"The operational situation is no longer active as far as violence is concerned. There are extortions and other unlawful activities which is, of course, under the control of
the state governments," he said.
In Nagaland also, he said the factional clashes had reduced.
"Whatever incidents happen, they are individual killings and cannot be classified as factional clashes between the two NSCN groups. It is difficult to control those killings, unless real time intelligence is received," he said.
The commanders` conference, held twice every year, reviewed the operational preparedness of the force and the situation in the states where it is operating.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi