Insurgent activities saw a rise in Manipur
Imphal: Insurgent activities saw a rise in Manipur in 2013 even though nearly 200 militants surrendered and over 20 were killed by security forces.
The erection of wooden fencing at undemarcated border areas with Myanmar was also a concern for the state government. Various social organisations and political parties along with state government appealed to the Centre to take up the issue with the Myanmar government.
The year also witnessed several seizure of illegal drugs while smugglers were trying to take them out to Myanmar.
The biggest seizure was when an Army Colonel Ajay Choudhury posted as the Defence PRO in Imphal and five others were arrested by Manipur Police for allegedly ferrying drugs, estimated to be worth between Rs 15-30 crore, to the Indo- Myanmar border.
More than 15 bombs were planted by militants at roadsides and various other places to attack police and central paramilitary forces but no casualty was reported.
Militants also hurled grenades and bombs at houses of businessmen in connection with their monetary demands although no money was paid to them.
Altogether 197 militants belonging to different organisations surrendered before Chief Minister Okram Ibobi Singh at a function during which Ibobi Singh repeated his appeal to other rebels to lay down arms.
Official sources said more than 30 militant groups have been operating in trouble-torn Manipur for four decades now.
While small groups life Kuki National Front, Kuki National Army and some Naga militants want disintegration of Manipur to form small states along the ethnic lines, major groups like United National Liberation Front, Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup, People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak and Kangleipak Communist Party have been fighting for an `independent Manipur` for what they called having "forcibly merged" with the union of India in 1949.
Seven officials of Irrigation and Flood Control including five senior engineers were kidnapped by suspected Kuki militants while they were returning after inspecting a project in Imphal east district on August 3. They were freed two days later.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof