Insurgent arrested along with huge explosive material
Imphal: An insurgent of banned Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) has been arrested and huge explosive material was recovered by police commandos from Imphal west district of Manipur, police said on Thursday.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos attached to Imphal west district police station launched a massive manhunt at Shingjamei, about 6 km from Manipur police headquarters, during which KYKL insurgent identified as Sougrakam Surjit (31) was arrested last evening, they said.
Following his interrogation, police forces rushed to Namching Keithel Manbi village, about 15 km west of here, and recovered ten powerful grenades, two bombs (improvised explosive materials), ten detonators, one remote-controlled device and a battery.
The explosive materials were meant to target security and police forces at different parts of the state particularly in the four valley districts of Imphal east, Imphal west, Bishenpur and Thoubal, sources said, adding that police posts in the valley districts were alerted to step up checking of passers-by to detect movement of ultras in their respective jurisdiction.
In another incident, unidentified militants hurled a powerful grenade at the house of a government contractor identified as Rajendro Singh at Shingjamei Meisnam Leikai area under Shingjamei police station in Imphal west district but the device failed to explode yesterday, sources said.
The motive behind the incident was not known. Family members of Rajendro Singh said no militant outfit had demanded money from the government contractor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Pakistan can inflict 'heavy losses' in war with India: Khawaja Muhammad Asif
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical