Insurgent arrested along with huge explosive material
Imphal: An insurgent of banned Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) has been arrested and huge explosive material was recovered by police commandos from Imphal west district of Manipur, police said on Thursday.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos attached to Imphal west district police station launched a massive manhunt at Shingjamei, about 6 km from Manipur police headquarters, during which KYKL insurgent identified as Sougrakam Surjit (31) was arrested last evening, they said.
Following his interrogation, police forces rushed to Namching Keithel Manbi village, about 15 km west of here, and recovered ten powerful grenades, two bombs (improvised explosive materials), ten detonators, one remote-controlled device and a battery.
The explosive materials were meant to target security and police forces at different parts of the state particularly in the four valley districts of Imphal east, Imphal west, Bishenpur and Thoubal, sources said, adding that police posts in the valley districts were alerted to step up checking of passers-by to detect movement of ultras in their respective jurisdiction.
In another incident, unidentified militants hurled a powerful grenade at the house of a government contractor identified as Rajendro Singh at Shingjamei Meisnam Leikai area under Shingjamei police station in Imphal west district but the device failed to explode yesterday, sources said.
The motive behind the incident was not known. Family members of Rajendro Singh said no militant outfit had demanded money from the government contractor.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed