Insurgent arrested along with huge explosive material
Imphal: An insurgent of banned Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) has been arrested and huge explosive material was recovered by police commandos from Imphal west district of Manipur, police said on Thursday.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos attached to Imphal west district police station launched a massive manhunt at Shingjamei, about 6 km from Manipur police headquarters, during which KYKL insurgent identified as Sougrakam Surjit (31) was arrested last evening, they said.
Following his interrogation, police forces rushed to Namching Keithel Manbi village, about 15 km west of here, and recovered ten powerful grenades, two bombs (improvised explosive materials), ten detonators, one remote-controlled device and a battery.
The explosive materials were meant to target security and police forces at different parts of the state particularly in the four valley districts of Imphal east, Imphal west, Bishenpur and Thoubal, sources said, adding that police posts in the valley districts were alerted to step up checking of passers-by to detect movement of ultras in their respective jurisdiction.
In another incident, unidentified militants hurled a powerful grenade at the house of a government contractor identified as Rajendro Singh at Shingjamei Meisnam Leikai area under Shingjamei police station in Imphal west district but the device failed to explode yesterday, sources said.
The motive behind the incident was not known. Family members of Rajendro Singh said no militant outfit had demanded money from the government contractor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to UNSC for 2017-18
- Sturgeon to visit Brussels to defend Scotland`s EU place
- NATO, EU leaders pledge strong alliance to counter Brexit fallout
- EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 'Beef smugglers' forced to eat cow dung in Faridabad