Insurgent arrested along with huge explosive material
Imphal: An insurgent of banned Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL) has been arrested and huge explosive material was recovered by police commandos from Imphal west district of Manipur, police said on Thursday.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos attached to Imphal west district police station launched a massive manhunt at Shingjamei, about 6 km from Manipur police headquarters, during which KYKL insurgent identified as Sougrakam Surjit (31) was arrested last evening, they said.
Following his interrogation, police forces rushed to Namching Keithel Manbi village, about 15 km west of here, and recovered ten powerful grenades, two bombs (improvised explosive materials), ten detonators, one remote-controlled device and a battery.
The explosive materials were meant to target security and police forces at different parts of the state particularly in the four valley districts of Imphal east, Imphal west, Bishenpur and Thoubal, sources said, adding that police posts in the valley districts were alerted to step up checking of passers-by to detect movement of ultras in their respective jurisdiction.
In another incident, unidentified militants hurled a powerful grenade at the house of a government contractor identified as Rajendro Singh at Shingjamei Meisnam Leikai area under Shingjamei police station in Imphal west district but the device failed to explode yesterday, sources said.
The motive behind the incident was not known. Family members of Rajendro Singh said no militant outfit had demanded money from the government contractor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list