Insurgent recruiting youngsters arrested in Manipur
Imphal: An insurgent, who recruited youngsters in militant ranks, was arrested along with two boys by police commandos in Manipur`s Chandel district.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos attached to Thoubal district police station rushed to neighbouring Chandel district and launched intensive frisking of people going to border town of Moreh yesterday.
During the checking, an insurgent identified as Athokpam Giri (41) of People`s Liberation Army (PLA) who recruited young persons in the ranks of insurgent, was arrested along with two young boys, police said, adding that he was immediately taken to a nearby police station for questioning.
The two boys whom Giri was taking to the border town were identified as B Ranjan Sharma (17) and S Nikhil (15), police said, adding that they hailed from Shribar Sibtala village in Cachar district of Assam. They would be sent back to their homes.
Official sources said insurgents of different organisations have been recruiting young boys and girls after luring them in their ranks in the past few years.
The latest such incident occurred when a 13-year old boy named Mutum Nongpoknganba of Khongman Kitanapanung in Imphal east district was `picked up` by some unidentified persons on July 4, they said, adding that his whereabouts are still not known.
Nongpoknganba`s father Mutum Ibotomba had appealed to people to help him trace his `missing` son, official reports said.
In another search operation yesterday, police commandos attached to Imphal east district arrested a militant of Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Task Force identified as S Leitul Maring (37) from Yairipok area in Thoubal district.
A 9mm pistol along with three rounds was recovered from the possession of Maring, who was involved in extortion of money from public and government officials, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire