Insurgent recruiting youngsters arrested in Manipur
Imphal: An insurgent, who recruited youngsters in militant ranks, was arrested along with two boys by police commandos in Manipur`s Chandel district.
Acting on a tip-off, commandos attached to Thoubal district police station rushed to neighbouring Chandel district and launched intensive frisking of people going to border town of Moreh yesterday.
During the checking, an insurgent identified as Athokpam Giri (41) of People`s Liberation Army (PLA) who recruited young persons in the ranks of insurgent, was arrested along with two young boys, police said, adding that he was immediately taken to a nearby police station for questioning.
The two boys whom Giri was taking to the border town were identified as B Ranjan Sharma (17) and S Nikhil (15), police said, adding that they hailed from Shribar Sibtala village in Cachar district of Assam. They would be sent back to their homes.
Official sources said insurgents of different organisations have been recruiting young boys and girls after luring them in their ranks in the past few years.
The latest such incident occurred when a 13-year old boy named Mutum Nongpoknganba of Khongman Kitanapanung in Imphal east district was `picked up` by some unidentified persons on July 4, they said, adding that his whereabouts are still not known.
Nongpoknganba`s father Mutum Ibotomba had appealed to people to help him trace his `missing` son, official reports said.
In another search operation yesterday, police commandos attached to Imphal east district arrested a militant of Kangleipak Communist Party-Military Task Force identified as S Leitul Maring (37) from Yairipok area in Thoubal district.
A 9mm pistol along with three rounds was recovered from the possession of Maring, who was involved in extortion of money from public and government officials, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations