Insurgents ask migrant labourers to leave Manipur
Imphal: Insurgents of seven major outfits on Thursday asked the outsiders particularly migrant labourers to leave Manipur as their presence overwhelmed the identities, customs and cultures of minority communities who have been living here peacefully for some thousand of years.
People in the state should stop letting houses, shops and lands to outsiders and hiring of their services for different works including masonry and construction of houses, business activities and others should be stopped by December 31, said a statement of the co-ordination committee (CORCOM).
CORCOM consists of United National Liberation Front (UNLF), Revolutionary People`s Front (RPF), Kanglei Yawol Kann Lup (KYKL), People`s Revolutionary Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK), PREPAK (Progressive), Kangleipak Communist Party (KCP) and United People`s Party of Kangleipak (PREPAK).
The statement did not, however, set any dateline for the leaving of outsiders from Manipur.
The statement said outsiders who came to Manipur in connection with academic activities, art and culture, sports, religious and other business activities would be exempted from the purview of the stand of the insurgents if the stay of the former was short in the state.
The CORCOM statement also warned relevant government authorities against issuing `no objection certificate,` `birth certificate,` `voter identity card`, documents related to insurance policies etc to outsiders adding that vehicle drivers and transporters who bring outsiders to Manipur after taking some money should stop doing so immediately.
The continuous influx of outsiders has posed a serious threat to the very existence of the indigenous people, the statement said adding that indigenous people in the region was being swamped by outsiders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'