Internally displaced people launch relay hunger strike in Tripura
Agartala: Hundreds of internally displaced
people due to erection of barbed wire fencing along the
Indo-Bangla border in Tripura today launched an indefinite
relay hunger strike here to press for their 19-point charter
Unless they are given assurance in writing by the
government that they will be properly rehabilitated the relay
hunger strike will continue, Subal Bhowmick, President of the
Simanta Bhumi Suraksha Committee (Committee for protection of
soil in border) told reporters.
Tripura has 856 km long border with Bangladesh of
which 675 km had been fenced to check infiltration of illegal
migrants and Indian insurgents from fleeing to Bangladesh,
illegal trade and trans-border crime.
Bhowmick said thousands of displaced people from
different parts of the state would assemble in the state
capital here to participate a central rally on February 14
The state government has done little for the
rehabilitation of the affected poor families even after
receiving a hefty amount of money from the Centre, he
He said a sizable number of families were leading a
miserable life after they lost their fertile land due to
The major demands include publication of names of
8500 families, construction of fencing along zero-Point to
save the Indian soil, government employment for each affected
family and allotment of alternative land for them.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- SHOCKING! Islamic State-linked Saudi twin brothers attack own family, stab mother
- Sri Lanka's parliament votes in favour of right to information bill
- WATCH: What a dance! Sizzling performance by IIT-Delhi girls on Sunny Leone's Baby Doll - You'll go mad!
- SHAME! Labourer demands wages; employer beats him to death
- Non-BJP parties plan to boycott PM Narendra Modi's 'Smart Cities Mission' event - Know the reason