IRB jawans, two others sentenced for rape
Imphal: Four persons, including two jawans of India Reserve Battalion (IRB), have been sentenced to life imprisonment for raping a woman trader by a lower court in Manipur, officials said on Wednesday.
Sessions Judge of Imphal West district Salam Imocha Singh said Ch Ibomcha (IRB havildar), KSH Kennedy (IRB rifleman), Salam Bijen and L Rojit were sentenced to life imprisonment for raping the woman in 2012 at a paddy field in Manipur.
The four were also fined Rs 5,000 each for causing grievous injury to the victim, the court said.
Official sources said the four allegedly raped the victim when she was coming to sell chillies from hill district of Tamenglong in June last year. The four accused kidnapped her and later raped her at a paddy field at Irom Meijarao area in Imphal West district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth