Irom Sharmila completes 12 years fast
Imphal: The `Iron Lady of Manipur` Irom Chanu Sharmila, who has been on a hunger strike since 2000 demanding repeal of Armed Forces Special Power Act (AFSPA), has completed 12 years of fast today.
Sharmila, a civil rights activist, began her hunger strike after the death of ten people in an alleged encounter with the Assam Rifles at Malom in Imphal valley on November 2, 2000.
She has been demanding repeal of AFSPA which the human rights activists hold as a draconian law.
Currently she is in judicial custody where she is forcibly fed through her nose.
Several candle light demonstrations will be organised by civil rights activists and members of social organisations throughout Manipur to express their solidarity with Sharmila.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security