Irom Sharmila re-arrested
Imphal: Irom Sharmila, who has been on an
indefinite fast for the past 11 years, was on Tuesday re-arrested
on the charge of attempt to suicide, only a day after she was
Dubbed Manipur`s `Iron Lady`, the civil rights activist,
who will turn 40 tomorrow, was produced in a local court which
remanded her in judicial custody for 15 days, Additional SP of
Imphal East district AK Jaljit told PTI.
Sharmila, described as a `habitual offender` by the
court, has been arrested, released and re-arrested for not
eating over the last 11 years. She is being nasal fed forcibly
at the state-run Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical
Every fortnight she is taken to the magistrate and as
refuses to break her fast, the court extends her judicial
remand for another 15 days.
Sharmila is on fast demanding repeal of the controversial
Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act. Under Section 309 of the
IPC, the maximum punishment for trying to commit suicide is
one year. Therefore, she is released once every year, only to
be re-arrested for continuing the fast.
Meanwhile, to mark her birthday tomorrow, her supporters
and family members have planned to light candles in all
"We will have programmes all over the state to mark the
occasion and press for the repeal of the AFSPA Act," said
Sharmila`s elder brother Irom Singhajit.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read