Irom supporters on token fast
Imphal: Hundreds of supporters of `Iron
Lady` Irom Sharmila, whose indefinite hunger-strike for repeal
of the Armed Forces Special Powers Act entered 11 years on Saturday,
fasted here and across the country.
"Hundreds of people from all walks of life came here
to support our cause, observe a token fast and help Sharmila
in her fight," Just Peace Foundation`s Onil Kshetrimayum told
PTI as protesters fasted from 10:00 am till 4:00 pm at 25
venues here and the districts of Manipur
The 39-year-old civil rights activist elder brother
Irom Singhajit led the mass fast here.
Student bodies All Manipur Students Union and civil
society groups like Sharmila Kanba Lup, Meira Paibi, senior
citizen groups, Manipur Women Gun Survivors Network, and those
affected by the alleged atrocities of the army, joined the
Leaders from the Manipur Peoples Party (MPP) also lent
The Ima Market in the heart of the town and the
Jawaharlal Nehru Institute of Medical Sciences, where Sharmila
is forcibly nose-fed were among the venues of the mass fast.
The `Save Democracy Repeal AFSPA` group observed fast
in other parts of the country also, said civil rights
activist Seram Rojesh Kumar.
In Delhi, a day-long fast was held as also a
Street theatre on democracy and AFSPA, music
poetry recitals by amateur social-artists were held.
`Tales from the Margin`, a touching documentary by
Kavita Joshi on the issue was screened.
Cities like Bangalore, Varanasi, Bhubaneswar, Kolkata,
Guwahati, Chandigarh, Pune and Patna also joined in to express
solidarity with Sharmila.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says