Issue of illegal migrants figures in Manipur
Imphal: The violence among Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in Assam has made the political parties and civil organisations in Manipur stress the need to check influx.
"The government of Manipur is ready to carry out an extensive exercise and check if there are illegal migrants in the state," home minister Gaikhangam and senior Congress leader said here yesterday.
He said it was the duty of the Centre to prevent entry of illegal migrants into the country under a central policy, but state governments could not remain a silent spectator on the issue and steps were being taken to check the influx.
Senior CPI leader and former veterinary minister M. Nara Singh said yesterday there was apprehension in the minds of Manipuris that the violence like in Assam could erupt in the state any time.
He demanded that the Centre convene an immediate meeting of all political parties to formulate a national policy on checking influx of illegal migrants in the country.
Stating that the recent exodus of Northeast students and professionals from south Indian cities fearing a backlash of the clashes in Assam, he said the CPI would urge the Centre to formulate a national policy on illegal migration after the party`s deliberations at the national council meeting from September 5 in New Delhi.
Convenor of the Joint Action Committee on Inner Line Permit, Sapamcha Jadumani demanded immediate implementation of the inner line permit system to restrict both illegal migrants and people from other states.
Pointing out that the state assembly had recently passed a private member`s bill on the ILP issue, he said yesterday that it was yet to be sent to the Centre and demanded that this be done immediately.
The issue of illegal migrants had rocked the state in early eighties when the All Manipur Students Union supported by civil organisations had launched an agitation against the influx.
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India deeply appreciates US' engagement in Asia-Pacific: Ashton Carter
- VVIP chopper scam: Ex-IAF chief SP Tyagi had admitted to meeting middleman Haschke
- F-16 fighter jets sold to Pakistan could be used against India: US lawmakers
- Fee hike: Schools will not budge with dharnas, submit a written complaint, Manish Sisodia tells parents
- Know what Shah Rukh Khan feels about PM Narendra Modi’s ‘Make In India’ initiative