Issue of illegal migrants figures in Manipur
Imphal: The violence among Bodos and Bengali-speaking Muslims in Assam has made the political parties and civil organisations in Manipur stress the need to check influx.
"The government of Manipur is ready to carry out an extensive exercise and check if there are illegal migrants in the state," home minister Gaikhangam and senior Congress leader said here yesterday.
He said it was the duty of the Centre to prevent entry of illegal migrants into the country under a central policy, but state governments could not remain a silent spectator on the issue and steps were being taken to check the influx.
Senior CPI leader and former veterinary minister M. Nara Singh said yesterday there was apprehension in the minds of Manipuris that the violence like in Assam could erupt in the state any time.
He demanded that the Centre convene an immediate meeting of all political parties to formulate a national policy on checking influx of illegal migrants in the country.
Stating that the recent exodus of Northeast students and professionals from south Indian cities fearing a backlash of the clashes in Assam, he said the CPI would urge the Centre to formulate a national policy on illegal migration after the party`s deliberations at the national council meeting from September 5 in New Delhi.
Convenor of the Joint Action Committee on Inner Line Permit, Sapamcha Jadumani demanded immediate implementation of the inner line permit system to restrict both illegal migrants and people from other states.
Pointing out that the state assembly had recently passed a private member`s bill on the ILP issue, he said yesterday that it was yet to be sent to the Centre and demanded that this be done immediately.
The issue of illegal migrants had rocked the state in early eighties when the All Manipur Students Union supported by civil organisations had launched an agitation against the influx.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray