Jamia students march for peace in northeast
New Delhi: Violation of human rights is a combination of communalism, casteism, regionalism and lack of respect for law, said Jamia Millia Islamia vice chancellor Najeeb Jung here on Wednesday.
"Universities like Jamia must sensitise their students to be at the forefront of understanding and helping resolve these issues," Jung told a news agency during a `Peace Walk for Human Rights in the Northeast`.
The march was organised by the university`s Centre for North East Studies and Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women`s Studies.
It was part of a three-day workshop to sensitive students about human rights violations in the northeastern region.
"The focus in the last few weeks in Jamia has been not just been on the northeast, but on human rights issues across India. In this context, we have had two big seminars on Assam and Maoist-affected areas," said Jung.
Centre for North East Studies director Sanjoy Hazarika said the march`s objective was to involve students from Jamia because people still did not know about the issues.
"While the march intended as a visual expression, the workshop aims to familiarise participants with the complexities of the region," he said.
The workshop participants are faculty members and students from different departments -- from political science and human rights to geography and computer sciences.
Sarojini Naidu Centre for Women`s Studies director Bulbul Dar-James said they were expecting solutions from participants not just from the northeastern region but also other parts of the country.
"We want to do away with the sense of exclusion," she said.
Also, works of photographers from the northeastern region capturing the turmoil are being exhibited at the university`s MF Husain Art Gallery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read