JD(U) hopeful of DAN retaining power in Nagaland
Kohima: Ruling Naga People`s Front ally JD(U) on Wednesday expressed hope that the Democratic Alliance of Nagaland would retain power for the third consecutive term.
After fielding three candidates -- one each in Wokha, Tuensang and Longleng districts, JD(U) national general secretary Arun Kumar Srivastava said he is hopeful of winning at least two seats and become a part in the next government.
Polling for the 60-member Nagaland Assembly will take place on February 23.
Reacting to recent haul of cash with weapons, particularly from NPF candidates, by security forces in the state, Srivastava alleged that the opposition Congress is using the Centre to influence armed insurgents to intimidate voters for forcefully support Congress candidates.
In this connection, the JD(U) leader demanded stern action against the Congress and its candidates for breaking the model code of conduct.
On its part, Congress in Nagaland brought in Union Minister Sachin Pilot at the last moment to campaign for its candidates in Dimapur town this evening.
Talking to reporters in Dimapur, Pilot avoided questions on the Naga political problem. He, however, said the talks have been positive and it can be expedited further if Nagaland is ruled by a Congress government.
He expressed the hope that the party will be able to get a clear mandate so that it can provide overall development in Nagaland and peace in the Northeast region.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez