John Kharshiing joins Congress in Meghalaya
Shillong: A leader of tribal chiefs, John Kharshiing, who had resigned as a member of the ruling coalition partner, the UDP in Meghalaya, today formally joined the Congress.
Kharshiing was escorted by more than 50 tribal chiefs when he was received by Chief Minister Mukul Sangma and Congress party chief D D Lapang at the Congress Bhavan here.
Not denying speculation that he was eying the 2013 polls in the state, the chairman of the Grand Council of Chiefs said that he would serve the party honestly in any capacity he was entrusted with.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- 'Indo-US logistic pact is not agreement to set up bases'
- Defiant Rousseff says Brazil's democracy on trial with her
- Small group holding majority to ransom: Manohar Parrikar on Kashmir
- Alphabet executive steps down from Uber board amid growing competition
- Facebook CEO says group will not become a media company