Join mainstream: Meghalaya HM to militants
Shillong: A day after the Garo National
Liberation Army threatened serial blasts if the operations
against them are not stopped, Meghalaya Home Minister HDR
Lyngdoh on Monday said the forces would be withdrawn if the
militants join the mainstream and shun the path of violence.
Lyngdoh today chaired a meeting with top police officials
and reviewed the security scenario in the wake of GNLA`s
"We have discussed threadbare the security situation.
Immediate cautionary steps are being taken up by the
government. The police department briefed me on the security
steps to be taken and I am quite satisfied," he said.
Security has been tightened in all important places,
including the capital city.
"Information has been received from the three districts
of Garo hills that all necessary security arrangement is being
made," he said.
He said the threat from the GNLA comes out of "fear of
being wiped out" in the counter-insurgency operations.
Lyngdoh maintained that "if they (militants) come and
surrender and join the mainstream, we will withdraw the
"Else, the police will intensify the operations," he
said, urging the public not to panic in the wake of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...