Join mainstream: Meghalaya HM to militants
Shillong: A day after the Garo National
Liberation Army threatened serial blasts if the operations
against them are not stopped, Meghalaya Home Minister HDR
Lyngdoh on Monday said the forces would be withdrawn if the
militants join the mainstream and shun the path of violence.
Lyngdoh today chaired a meeting with top police officials
and reviewed the security scenario in the wake of GNLA`s
"We have discussed threadbare the security situation.
Immediate cautionary steps are being taken up by the
government. The police department briefed me on the security
steps to be taken and I am quite satisfied," he said.
Security has been tightened in all important places,
including the capital city.
"Information has been received from the three districts
of Garo hills that all necessary security arrangement is being
made," he said.
He said the threat from the GNLA comes out of "fear of
being wiped out" in the counter-insurgency operations.
Lyngdoh maintained that "if they (militants) come and
surrender and join the mainstream, we will withdraw the
"Else, the police will intensify the operations," he
said, urging the public not to panic in the wake of the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!