Journalists condemn the threat of militants
Imphal: All Manipur Working Journalists` Union (AMWJU) and prominent editors on Tuesday condemned the `threat` from some militants that their press statement should be published in local dailies without editing.
A spokesman of AMWJU said the executive members of the union and prominent editors held an emergency meeting to discuss the militants` threat to scribes and strongly condemned it.
He said there were so many militant factions in the state and if a press statement was published after properly editing it and checking it as per guidelines issued by the press council of India, another faction would threaten the media persons and media houses for publishing it.
He appealed to the militant outfits not to interfere in the functioning of the press as journalists were serving the public by devoting themselves to their work.
A particular militant outfit has said it would target mediapersons, newspaper distributors and newspaper hawkers if their statement was not published in verbatim by local media.
Sources in the media houses said they would not publish the statement following instructions from the AMWJU adding that they could not work freely because of the threat.
AMWJU sources said the matter has been brought to the notice of the state home minister Gaikhangam who assured the union that proper action would be taken to prevent any untoward incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark