Kamakhya Temple closes for Ambubachi Mela
Guwahati: The door of the Kamakhya
Temple, seat of the Shakti cult, was closed from today for
three days on the occasion of the famed annual Ambubachi Mela,
for which elaborate security arrangement was made.
The temple door was closed at midnight and would
reopen on at 12 noon on June 26, said Anup Prasad Sarma,
Publicity secretary of the Kamakhya Ambubachi Mahotsava
Sadhus and devotees from all over the country and
abroad have descended to temple atop the Nilachal Hills with
the district administration making elaborate arrangements to
ensure the mela passes off without any untoward incident.
Kamrup (Metro) Deputy Commissioner J Balaji said that
for security reasons, the Kamakhya Debottar Board has
installed 64 CCTVs on the hillock and 34 others have been
installed by the district administration.
Four police camps with 70 police officers and 100
constables have been also deployed for the mela.
Sarma said the Debottar Board has 500 active
volunteers while the NCC, Civil Defence, Scouts and Guides,
have also deployed additional volunteers for the mela.
The Debottar Board and the Joint Director of Health
Services of the district have set up two medical camps for the
devotees while various NGOs have also set up ten medical camps
on the hill.
Ambubachi, also called `ameti`, is associated with the
fertility cult of Goddess Kamakhya and is said to mark her
annual menstrual cycle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai