Kamla Beniwal sworn-in as new Mizoram Goveror
Aizawl: Dr Kamla Beniwal was on Wednesday sworn-in as the 12th Governor of Mizoram, hours after her predecessor Vakkom B. Purushothaman left the state.
On behalf of Gauhati High Court Chief Justice Abhya Manohar Sapre, Justice B.K. Sharma administered the oath of office to the first woman governor of Mizoram at the Durbar Hall of the Raj Bhavan here.
The swearing-in ceremony was attended by Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and his cabinet colleagues, Assembly Speaker Hiphei, MLAs and top government officials.
Beniwal, who was Governor of Gujarat before taking over the gubernatorial position in the north eastern state, was born on January 12, 1927 at Gorir village of Rajasthan`s Jhunjhunu district.
She became the first woman minister in Rajasthan in 1954 at the age of 27 years and later became the deputy Chief Minister of the state.
A few hours before Beniwal`s oath taking, Purushothaman left the state after a hurriedly organised farewell at the Lengpui airport near here.
Raj Bhavan sources here said he would first go to Chennai for medical check-up and then go to his home state Kerala.
The farewell had to be organised in a hurry as the Governor`s visit to Chennai was planned earlier, before his new appointment to Nagaland with additional charge of Tripura was announced, protocol department officials said.
They said, because of lack of time the farewell could not be held at the Raj Bhavan where Purushothaman was sworn-in as the Mizoram Governor on September 2, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen