Kamla Beniwal sworn-in as new Mizoram Goveror
Aizawl: Dr Kamla Beniwal was on Wednesday sworn-in as the 12th Governor of Mizoram, hours after her predecessor Vakkom B. Purushothaman left the state.
On behalf of Gauhati High Court Chief Justice Abhya Manohar Sapre, Justice B.K. Sharma administered the oath of office to the first woman governor of Mizoram at the Durbar Hall of the Raj Bhavan here.
The swearing-in ceremony was attended by Chief Minister Lal Thanhawla and his cabinet colleagues, Assembly Speaker Hiphei, MLAs and top government officials.
Beniwal, who was Governor of Gujarat before taking over the gubernatorial position in the north eastern state, was born on January 12, 1927 at Gorir village of Rajasthan`s Jhunjhunu district.
She became the first woman minister in Rajasthan in 1954 at the age of 27 years and later became the deputy Chief Minister of the state.
A few hours before Beniwal`s oath taking, Purushothaman left the state after a hurriedly organised farewell at the Lengpui airport near here.
Raj Bhavan sources here said he would first go to Chennai for medical check-up and then go to his home state Kerala.
The farewell had to be organised in a hurry as the Governor`s visit to Chennai was planned earlier, before his new appointment to Nagaland with additional charge of Tripura was announced, protocol department officials said.
They said, because of lack of time the farewell could not be held at the Raj Bhavan where Purushothaman was sworn-in as the Mizoram Governor on September 2, 2011.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM