Karmapa prays for quake affected people
Dharamsala: The 17th Karmapa, the only major Tibetan monk reincarnate recognised by both the Dalai Lama and China, Tuesday expressed grief over the deaths in the earthquake that hit India and Nepal and also affected parts of Tibet.
"I am extremely saddened to hear about the loss of human life and the severe destruction caused by the recent earthquake in Sikkim and other parts of north and east of India and Nepal," the Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, said in a statement here.
"The people who are affected are in my thoughts. I offer prayers for the deceased and the survivors to be relieved of their pain and suffering soon," he said.
At least 47 Indians have died and over 100 have been injured in the 6.8-magnitude earthquake that shook large parts of India, Nepal, Tibet and Bangladesh. Nine people were killed in Nepal and seven in Tibet.
Meanwhile, the Central Tibetan Administration based here described Sunday`s disaster as "tragic and sad".
"It`s really unfortunate that many people have died not just in Sikkim but also inside Tibet as well," Tibetan Prime Minister-in-exile Lobsang Sangay said.
In a condolence message sent to Sikkim Chief Minister Pawan Chamling Monday, the Parliament-in-exile said: "We are very much saddened and aggrieved by the loss of lives and property caused by the earthquake that affected your state and other neighbouring states."
The high-intensity quake, which was followed by two aftershocks, had its epicentre on the Sikkim-Nepal border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- LIVE: After surgical strikes by Indian Army, Nawaz Sharif says Pakistan wants peace
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’