Karnataka Dy CM appeals NE people to return
Imphal: Karnataka Deputy Chief Minister R Ashok today appealed to students and workers from the North-East, who had left Bangalore recently in the wake of "wrong" SMS messages on Assam violence, to return to the state and resume their work without fear.
"The government of Karnataka has taken up full security measures to protect the people from the North-East in the wake of wrong messages transmitted through SMS following recent Assam violence," Ashok, who is on a goodwill mission to Assam and Manipur, told reporters here.
Accompanied by Director General of Police of that state and some senior officials, he said 22 persons had been arrested and 17 cases registered in connection with the sending of the SMSs in the state.
Ashok, who also holds the Home Affairs portfolio, said a large number of security personnel had been deployed in the state to prevent any untoward incident and protect those from the North-Eastern region.
He also met some parents of the students who had fled Karnataka.
He held a meeting with Manipur Chief Minister O Ibobi Singh and Deputy Chief Minister Gaikhangam earlier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!