Kejriwal for transparency in big dam projects
Guwahati: Team Anna member Arvind Kejriwal on Monday claimed big dam projects in Assam and other northeastern states had been taken up without transparency and called for people`s participation in decision making.
"We are not against building dams per se for power generation. But the process has to be transparent and any such project should be taken up only with the consent of the local and affected people," he told a meeting of the Krishak Mutki Sangram Samiti.
"Village parishads should be involved in decision making process and the matter should not be kept confined to board rooms only," he said.
He asked the KMSS activists and their leader Akhil Gogoi to unite with other such movements in states like Uttarakhand and create a nation-wide movement.
"People of Assam will become destitutes and pay a heavy price... They will get nothing out of the dams," Kejriwal said.
He said many expert groups formed by the Centre have expressed reservations about the dam projects including the 2,000 MW Lower Subansiri Project in Assam-Arunachal Pradesh border.
"The northeastern region is located in a seismologically active and ecologically fragile area. Any big dams could have serious repercussions in case of earthquake or other such incidents," Kejriwal said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way