Khandu, an Army intelligence officer-turned-politician
Itanagar: The man who led Congress to a
two-third majority in Arunachal Pradesh is a former Army
intelligence officer rewarded for his exploits during the
Bangladesh war and turned a social activist before joining
The 54-year-old Chief Minister, who was with Indian
Army Intelligence Corps for seven years and received a gold
medal for his services, turned his attention to providing
basic amenities to people in the state and only began his
political career as an anchal samiti member in 1980.
Analysts feel it was his reach among the people that
helped him replace powerful Gegong Apang as Chief Minister who
had ruled the tribal state for 23 years.
In 1982, Khandu led a cultural troupe to ASIAD in
Delhi from his home district Tawang that won a silver medal.
Khandu, a Buddhist with a little formal education, was
elected uncontested to the Legislative Assembly of Arunachal
Pradesh in March 1990 from Mukto constituency.
He was re-elected to the Assembly in March 1995 from
the same constituency and was given the portfolio of Minister
of State for Cooperation.
In 1996, he was elevated to the Cabinet rank and given
Animal Husbandry & Veterinary, Dairy Development department.
The police, however, could not arrest the other
accomplices in the case.
Katiyar, a driver with a private firm, was arrested
five days after the incident and was later identified by the
victim in the test identification parade.
Earlier, various policemen, who were involved with the
probe into the case, have given contradictory statements
regarding the date and place of arrest of the accused.
Sub Inspector Charan Singh, deposing as a witness, had
first said the accused was arrested on May 14, 2005 but later
said he was nabbed a day before.
Singh, also a member of the probe team, said the
accused was arrested from Anand Vihar. However, some witnesses
had earlier claimed he was nabbed from Ghazipur also in east
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested