Kidnapped Assam forest officials released
Diphu (Assam): Chief Conservator of Forest
Abhijit Rabha and Range Officer Ranjan Barua, who were
abducted by KPLT militants, have been released near a highway
at Bokolia in Assam`s Karbi Anglong district.
Police said Rabha and Barua were released by the
abductors late Monday night and they were rescued by the police
officers of Bokolia police station.
Both of them were taken to a hospital in Diphu for
treatment. Rabha is suffering from diabetes.
Assam government yesterday said that Karbi Peoples
Liberation Tiger (KPLT) militants were behind the abduction of
the two forest officers. They were missing for the past four
Rabha`s mother Dipali and Barua`s wife Herumai had
appealed to the abductors for release of the two officials on
The abductors had reportedly demanded a ransom of Rs one
crore but details of whether they were released after payment
of ransom amount is unclear.
The two officers were kidnapped on March 3 when they
were returning from Sighasan Hills where they had gone with a
60-member delegation, including some Japanese botanists to
conduct a forest department survey.
The delegates returned safely but the officials were
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!