Kidnapped Assam forest officials released
Diphu (Assam): Chief Conservator of Forest
Abhijit Rabha and Range Officer Ranjan Barua, who were
abducted by KPLT militants, have been released near a highway
at Bokolia in Assam`s Karbi Anglong district.
Police said Rabha and Barua were released by the
abductors late Monday night and they were rescued by the police
officers of Bokolia police station.
Both of them were taken to a hospital in Diphu for
treatment. Rabha is suffering from diabetes.
Assam government yesterday said that Karbi Peoples
Liberation Tiger (KPLT) militants were behind the abduction of
the two forest officers. They were missing for the past four
Rabha`s mother Dipali and Barua`s wife Herumai had
appealed to the abductors for release of the two officials on
The abductors had reportedly demanded a ransom of Rs one
crore but details of whether they were released after payment
of ransom amount is unclear.
The two officers were kidnapped on March 3 when they
were returning from Sighasan Hills where they had gone with a
60-member delegation, including some Japanese botanists to
conduct a forest department survey.
The delegates returned safely but the officials were
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know