Kidnapped Meghalaya official still untraced
Shillong: A senior Meghalaya official who was abducted for ransom by Assam-based tribal Rabha rebels nine days ago remains untraced, a police official said Friday.
Dilip Dutta Medhi, the sericulture development officer of North Garo Hills district in Meghalaya, was kidnapped by a rebel group, Rabha Vipers Army (RVA), Nov 14 from Chotomatia area, under Assam`s Goalpara district.
The RVA rebel group operates largely in the Rabha tribe-inhabited areas of Assam`s Goalpara district, and certain areas of Meghalaya`s East and West Garo Hills districts.
Medhi was abducted along with his peon while he was proceeding towards Guwahati to meet his family. However, the rebels freed the peon.
"We (security forces) have not been able to trace the abducted Meghalaya official but the hunt is on to rescue the hostage," Nitul Gogoi, the Goalpara district police chief, told IANS by phone.
Gogoi, however, said the identity of the kidnappers has been established.
Meghalaya`s North Garo Hills Superintendent of Police Ricky Dkhar said he was in constant touch with his Goalpara counterpart to rescue the kidnapped official.
"Both the state police (Assam and Meghalaya) are sharing inputs to trace and rescue the hostage safely, as the safety of the officer is of paramount importance," Gogoi said.
Meanwhile, Medhi`s family has appealed to the RVA for his release.
"We cordially appeal to the abductors to release Medhi immediately and unconditionally, considering his health condition," Dev Dutta Medhi, the eldest brother of the sericulture officer, said, adding he has not been in touch with his brother since the abducted official is diabetic.
Meghalaya Sericulture Minister Zenith M. Sangma and the Meghalaya Sericulture Technical Service Association have also appealed to the rebels to release the official unharmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP