Kidnapped Meghalaya official untraced
Shillong: A senior Meghalaya official who was abducted for ransom by Assam-based tribal Rabha rebels nine days ago remains untraced, a police official said Friday.
Dilip Dutta Medhi, the sericulture development officer of North Garo Hills district in Meghalaya, was kidnapped by a rebel group, Rabha Vipers Army (RVA), Nov 14 from Chotomatia area, under Assam`s Goalpara district.
The RVA rebel group operates largely in the Rabha tribe-inhabited areas of Assam`s Goalpara district, and certain areas of Meghalaya`s East and West Garo Hills districts.
Medhi was abducted along with his peon while he was proceeding towards Guwahati to meet his family. However, the rebels freed the peon.
"We (security forces) have not been able to trace the abducted Meghalaya official but the hunt is on to rescue the hostage," Nitul Gogoi, the Goalpara district police chief told.
Gogoi, however, said the identity of the kidnappers has been established.
Meghalaya`s North Garo Hills Superintendent of Police Ricky Dkhar said he was in constant touch with his Goalpara counterpart to rescue the kidnapped official.
"Both the state police (Assam and Meghalaya) are sharing inputs to trace and rescue the hostage safely, as the safety of the officer is of paramount importance," Gogoi said.
Meanwhile, Medhi`s family has appealed to the RVA for his release.
"We cordially appeal to the abductors to release Medhi immediately and unconditionally, considering his health condition," Dev Dutta Medhi, the eldest brother of the sericulture officer, said, adding he has not been in touch with his brother since the abducted official is diabetic.
Meghalaya Sericulture Minister Zenith M. Sangma and the Meghalaya Sericulture Technical Service Association have also appealed to the rebels to release the official unharmed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends