Kidnapped Meghalaya welder rescued, one abductor killed
Shillong: A welder kidnapped by militants for ransom was Tuesday rescued in Meghalaya following a gunfight in which security forces killed one abductor and arrested two others.
During the gunfight at Rongge village of South Garo Hills district, Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) commandos killed one abductor and nabbed two others, Inspector General of Police (Operations) GHP Raju told IANS over phone.
Welder Manoranjan was Sunday abducted by A`chik Songna An`pachakgipa Kotok (ASAK) militants for Rs 25 lakh ransom.
The SWAT commandos recovered one INSAS rifle along with magazines, huge cache of ammunition and other incriminating documents from the gunfight site.
Meanwhile, the forces are making efforts to rescue an abducted school teacher, Utpal Dey. He was Monday kidnapped by ASAK militants from Karonggre area in West Garo Hills.
Meghalaya Home Minister Roshan Warjri Monday told journalists the Centre will be rushing additional central paramilitary forces to Garo Hills to aid the ongoing combing operations against the militants following a spurt in kidnappings.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre