Konwar takes oath as Tripura Governor
Agartala: Former Governor of Bihar, Devanand Konwar on Monday took over as the 13th Governor of Tripura in a simple ceremony at Raj Bhavan here.
Chief Justice of Tripura High Court, Dipak Gupta administered him the oath of office and later he was given the guard of honour at Raj Bhawan.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and his cabinet colleagues and top administrative officials were present in the oath taking ceremony.
Konwar, a 77-year-old former minister of Assam, told reporters that maintaining peace and tranquility and good governance would be the priority of his government.
Konwar had worked earlier as a lecturer at Cotton College in Guwahati. He also joined as a marketing manager of a multinational company in Mumbai, which he left in 1968 to become Principal of Guwahati College.
In 1969, he joined Gauhati High Court bar as an advocate. Konwar became an MLA in 1983 and in 1991 he became Minister for Revenue, Law and power in the cabinet of Hiteswar Saikia.
He was also a minister in the cabinet of the present Chief Minister of Assam, Tarun Gogoi.
He became the Governor of Bihar on July 24, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what