Konwar takes oath as Tripura Governor
Agartala: Former Governor of Bihar, Devanand Konwar Monday took over as the 13th Governor of Tripura in a simple ceremony at Raj Bhavan here.
Chief Justice of Tripura High Court, Dipak Gupta administered him the oath of office and later he was given the guard of honour at Raj Bhawan.
Chief Minister Manik Sarkar and his cabinet colleagues and top administrative officials were present in the oath taking ceremony.
Konwar, a 77-year-old former minister of Assam, told reporters that maintaining peace and tranquility and good governance would be the priority of his government.
Konwar had worked earlier as a lecturer at Cotton College in Guwahati. He also joined as a marketing manager of a multinational company in Mumbai, which he left in 1968 to become Principal of Guwahati College.
In 1969, he joined Gauhati High Court bar as an advocate. Konwar became an MLA in 1983 and in 1991 he became Minister for Revenue, Law and power in the cabinet of Hiteswar Saikia.
He was also a minister in the cabinet of the present Chief Minister of Assam, Tarun Gogoi.
He became the Governor of Bihar on July 24, 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested