Kuki militant killed in Manipur encounter
Imphal: A hardcore militant of Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA) was killed in an encounter with security personnel in interior Haipi village in Manipur`s Senapati district, officials said on Monday.
After receiving reports of movement of militants, a combined team of 18th Sikh regiment and 27th Assam Rifles battalion personnel launched a massive manhunt at Haipi and surrounding villages yesterday.
As the security personnel stepped up the operation, a group of militants from a thatched house fired on them. The security men retaliated, they said, adding that in the heavy exchange of fire, a militant, identified as S L Paolen (25), was killed while others escaped into the jungle.
One AK-47 rifle along with 25 rounds of ammunition was recovered from the spot, they said, adding that the body was sent to Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here for post mortem.
Officials said the militants came to Haipi area to `disturb` the smooth functioning of autonomous district council, Kangpokpi (ADC-K). The members were elected to the council about a year ago despite ban on elections to the ADCs in Manipur hill districts by KRA and other militant outfits besides, some hill-based social organisations.
The militants claimed the powers given to the ADC were not adequate and wanted the hill region to be placed under provisions of the sixth schedule of the Constitution.
Most members of ADCs in different hill districts were now functioning from Imphal because they had been threatened by various militants with dire consequences if they came to the hill districts, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria