Kuki militant killed in Manipur encounter
Imphal: A hardcore militant of Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA) was killed in an encounter with security personnel in interior Haipi village in Manipur`s Senapati district, officials said on Monday.
After receiving reports of movement of militants, a combined team of 18th Sikh regiment and 27th Assam Rifles battalion personnel launched a massive manhunt at Haipi and surrounding villages yesterday.
As the security personnel stepped up the operation, a group of militants from a thatched house fired on them. The security men retaliated, they said, adding that in the heavy exchange of fire, a militant, identified as S L Paolen (25), was killed while others escaped into the jungle.
One AK-47 rifle along with 25 rounds of ammunition was recovered from the spot, they said, adding that the body was sent to Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here for post mortem.
Officials said the militants came to Haipi area to `disturb` the smooth functioning of autonomous district council, Kangpokpi (ADC-K). The members were elected to the council about a year ago despite ban on elections to the ADCs in Manipur hill districts by KRA and other militant outfits besides, some hill-based social organisations.
The militants claimed the powers given to the ADC were not adequate and wanted the hill region to be placed under provisions of the sixth schedule of the Constitution.
Most members of ADCs in different hill districts were now functioning from Imphal because they had been threatened by various militants with dire consequences if they came to the hill districts, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured