Kuki militant killed in Manipur encounter
Imphal: A hardcore militant of Kuki Revolutionary Army (KRA) was killed in an encounter with security personnel in interior Haipi village in Manipur`s Senapati district, officials said on Monday.
After receiving reports of movement of militants, a combined team of 18th Sikh regiment and 27th Assam Rifles battalion personnel launched a massive manhunt at Haipi and surrounding villages yesterday.
As the security personnel stepped up the operation, a group of militants from a thatched house fired on them. The security men retaliated, they said, adding that in the heavy exchange of fire, a militant, identified as S L Paolen (25), was killed while others escaped into the jungle.
One AK-47 rifle along with 25 rounds of ammunition was recovered from the spot, they said, adding that the body was sent to Regional Institute of Medical Science and Hospital here for post mortem.
Officials said the militants came to Haipi area to `disturb` the smooth functioning of autonomous district council, Kangpokpi (ADC-K). The members were elected to the council about a year ago despite ban on elections to the ADCs in Manipur hill districts by KRA and other militant outfits besides, some hill-based social organisations.
The militants claimed the powers given to the ADC were not adequate and wanted the hill region to be placed under provisions of the sixth schedule of the Constitution.
Most members of ADCs in different hill districts were now functioning from Imphal because they had been threatened by various militants with dire consequences if they came to the hill districts, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back