Lalvenhima Hmar is MNF candidate in bypoll
Aizawl: Mizo National Front (MNF), the main opposition party in Mizoram, on Wednesday said that Lalvenhima Hmar would be their candidate for the bypoll to Chalfilh assembly seat to be held on February 23.
Lalvenhima Hmar had contested from the constituency in the 2008 assembly polls and lost to Chawngtinthanga of the Congress by a margin of 543 votes.
Chawngtinthanga secured 4,924 votes while Hmar secured 4,381 votes out of the 13,207 votes polled with seven candidates in the fray.
The then MNF candidate J C Chhuanliana managed to bag 3,352 votes and stood third in the contest.
Hmar contested the 2008 elections as Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) candidate and later joined People`s Conference (PC) party, the breakaway group of MPC which merged with MNF last year.
With the announcement of candidate by the MNF, all the major political parties in the state, excepting the ruling Congress, have announced their official nominees for the coming by-poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview