Lalvenhima Hmar is MNF candidate in bypoll
Aizawl: Mizo National Front (MNF), the main opposition party in Mizoram, on Wednesday said that Lalvenhima Hmar would be their candidate for the bypoll to Chalfilh assembly seat to be held on February 23.
Lalvenhima Hmar had contested from the constituency in the 2008 assembly polls and lost to Chawngtinthanga of the Congress by a margin of 543 votes.
Chawngtinthanga secured 4,924 votes while Hmar secured 4,381 votes out of the 13,207 votes polled with seven candidates in the fray.
The then MNF candidate J C Chhuanliana managed to bag 3,352 votes and stood third in the contest.
Hmar contested the 2008 elections as Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) candidate and later joined People`s Conference (PC) party, the breakaway group of MPC which merged with MNF last year.
With the announcement of candidate by the MNF, all the major political parties in the state, excepting the ruling Congress, have announced their official nominees for the coming by-poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city