Lalvenhima Hmar is MNF candidate in bypoll
Aizawl: Mizo National Front (MNF), the main opposition party in Mizoram, on Wednesday said that Lalvenhima Hmar would be their candidate for the bypoll to Chalfilh assembly seat to be held on February 23.
Lalvenhima Hmar had contested from the constituency in the 2008 assembly polls and lost to Chawngtinthanga of the Congress by a margin of 543 votes.
Chawngtinthanga secured 4,924 votes while Hmar secured 4,381 votes out of the 13,207 votes polled with seven candidates in the fray.
The then MNF candidate J C Chhuanliana managed to bag 3,352 votes and stood third in the contest.
Hmar contested the 2008 elections as Mizoram People`s Conference (MPC) candidate and later joined People`s Conference (PC) party, the breakaway group of MPC which merged with MNF last year.
With the announcement of candidate by the MNF, all the major political parties in the state, excepting the ruling Congress, have announced their official nominees for the coming by-poll.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report